Thursday 1 August 2013

Day 21 - I Keep going ! - the wrong way

Hi mate,
Before I start, I'm writing (typing) this as I lay in a YHA dorm with 3 other complete strangers occupying the other beds ! - it's eerie and a bizarre scenario!! 

Anyhow, about 4 hours ago I thought today was a great day and that today's blog would be full of positivity ! But, as usually I take a little detour !! - more about that in a bit!

Today started much much better - dry skies to wake up to and I got to visit holly & Lucas' favourite sweet shop ! Yum Yums in Cardigan.

(And yep, by the look of this photo, I still haven't woke up properly yet!!)

I also got to meet a twitter follower before I set out on todays journey!! - proof that social media aids awareness !! Thanks Christine !

Today's route was much more bearable !! Plenty of things to see, wildlifeand got to walk through some lovely villages.

(Found it odd to find that horse on top of clifftop alone !!)

Loads of people promised me spectacular views on what was now the Pembrokeshire part of the coastal path - and they weren't wrong !


I walked past something the locals call Witches' cove (depicted above). I (and I guess you) could think of a few people who belong in there mate ;)

I got to Newport Sands - which I assumed was my destination!
(Inappropriate positioning of umbrella!!)

So I stroll along the beach and headed for the village I could see in the distance (literally 10 mins away !!)
As I got closer I could see the tide was in and the Estuary seperating me from my bed was duely flooded !! Cue 2 hour diversion around it and onto the next village !!! 

I was now 3 miles the other side !

I got to the first pub I'd seen for 7 hours.
I walk in and this old man came up to me straightaway and said "I hoped you'd come in here !!" - Alun (a local & MND sufferer for 2 years) had been waiting for me to arrive !!! - again more proof that this walk is getting coverage and awareness across Wales !! Made my little detour worthwhile for sure!

I found out later, had I taken an earlier right turning at the beach car park - I would've been on quick path!! but then probably wouldn't have met Alun. 

So I eventually get to my hostel and oh boy, what was I thinking !! It's like being in prison mate (the closest I got to that was when you drank me under the table in a Whiskey competition circa 1993 !!). 

Four bunk beds (I shot-gunned a lower one !) and four complete strangers ! I daren't breathe in case it was too loud!
They don't do towels either !! So my OCD is at a critical point right now !! 
Got another couple of these places to stay in along the route home(inc tomorrow night). It's not exactly the Hilton. 

Tomorrow, your little Sister joins me (she chose an easy/low mileage day obviously !!)
And Saturday, some of the boys will be joining me - so should be a good couple of days ahead. Edging towards single figure days now .........

I had the iPod at full strength today and tunes were flying out - everything from Thin Lizzy to Emeli Sande lol!  

One song came on and instantly pulled a cord with me - the lyrics are spookily appropriate. Sat down for a little while and listened to it over a few times.
I've always said and will continue to do so - if I could take away any of the suffering & discomfort you are feeling right now - I would do so immediately, I would bear that pain for you and I know alot of people who would do the same to alleviate somewhat, the cruelty of this disease. 
The song :- Bridge over troubled water by Simon & Garfunkel. I haven't got wifi to post the lyrics now.

Just know this Gar, if I could - I would.

Speak to you tomorrow, if I get to survive the dorm and my new cell mates!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I would too, in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your blogs from the start, and I have laughed, been frustration for you and a few times like today shed a tear. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi mate

    Well done....keep walking!! Oh and try not to get lost anymore.....

    I know what you're saying but I wouldn't wish this on anyone else my friend.............finding a cure is the only option for MND sufferers and you know the answer to that already - awareness, awareness, awareness!!!

    Have a good day......and make my little sis carry your backpack today!!

    Gareth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Justin mate.
    I work in those hostels all over the country and they are not that bad u meet some great people in these places.
    Beds are crap though give me back ache after a few days.
    Man up fella. Lol !!
    Cu soon keep on walkin. Great pics by the way

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you're weary
    Feeling small
    When tears are in your eyes
    I will dry them all

    I'm on your side
    When times get rough
    And friends just can't be found
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down

    When you're down and out
    When you're on the street
    When evening falls so hard
    I will comfort you

    I'll take your part
    When darkness comes
    And pain is all around
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down

    Sail on Silver Girl,
    Sail on by
    Your time has come to shine
    All your dreams are on their way

    See how they shine
    If you need a friend
    I'm sailing right behind
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will ease your mind
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will ease your mind

    ReplyDelete