Saturday 10 August 2013

Day 30 - You'll Never Walk Alone

Brace yourself mate !! 
Today I have suffered unimaginable humiliation !
A never to be seen again sight, an absolute psychological nightmare, a complete & utter day of sheer torture:-


Yes, I am wearing toilet paper ;) I apologise to all fellow Evertonians and to my daughter (who hopefully isn't scarred for life by this view!), but in the fight for MND and to raise valuable funds (thanks to Richie and Wayo!) I donned the ultimate in embarrassment. 


I seriously felt much more comfortable in both the dress and the pink nuns costume !!

My fellow walkers today included Richie, his dad Tony, Jo (a work colleague), her husband Mike, his sister Kath and ex work colleague Caroline. Also Shirley and Alastair(from Cardiff MNDA branch). 

So a great crowd of us! Plus I was able to meet up with Mrs Cleary and son Alex and also my walkers for tomorrow Ian & Jan.


To be honest, the terrain again today was very manageable, only a few inclines/declines to manage! 

Obviously Richie struggled though ;)


It did start raining briefly at Tenby, but by then i had been dragged into a pub (kicking and screaming as you can imagine!).The Tenby through to Saundersfoot last few miles were a bit testing on the knees but nothing in comparison to last 4 weeks ;)

There were certain points along the route where any mode of transport would've done though :-

(Typical scouser on the rob ! - no offence intended my Liverpudlian colleagues!!)

(Desperate times call for desperate measures)

There was one point where the embarrassment threatened to get to me too much mate !!

(Disused rail track ......... - honest)

All in all, it was a good days walk, 16 miles of great company and banter.


I even got to muscle in on a wedding lol:- 


Plus convinced an army officer to let us cross the firing range ;)


We were buoyed with news early morning that Richie had got us a mention on Radio 2 !! - Anneka Rice's show - where we had a 'get up and go' song dedication - the song (funny bu&&ers!!) was Proclaimers !! 500 miles !

Which in fact was rather apt, as I've now probably walked over the 500 mile mark. Into single figure days remaining.
A week tomorrow it'll all be over and those boots of mine will be launched into the sea (never to be seen again!!).

Not my proudest moment today mate, wearing the red of Liverpool, but I did say I'd do anything to make you chuckle !!

Massive thanks to everyone who took time away to walk with me today and to those who kindly popped some cash into our tin !!

I'm literally coming around the corner now, I can smell the Gower from here (although all I can actually smell is my rucksack, which absolutely reeks !!)

The title of this blog, although not a personal favourite song of mine ! ;) is also very apt. You are not alone in your fight Gar, the army is getting bigger by the day, we will fight on and we will conquer.

PS - any Liverpool fans out there who are now giggling to themselves over the fact I had to wear that rag today - that has to be worth another couple of quid - if only to keep the photo and taunt me with it everytime the Merseyside derby comes around !! Text WMND50 £3 to 70070 

No comments:

Post a Comment