Friday 16 August 2013

Day 36 - Scenic steps home........

Well, after a massive 9 hour sleep last night (probably the most I've had on the whole challenge!), I headed for the Mumbles. A night of rain and winds soon departed and thankfully left us with a glorious summers day!!
 
Walking with me today was Nathan.

(As you can see I soon taught him the secret a successful walk -  alcohol !)

Nathan is the brother of Jo, a colleague who walked with us last Sat. Unfortunately their father was also diagnosed with MND this year.

We made steady progress from the off and were lucky enough to see some fantastic views !!




It wasn't all nice sandy beaches though ;) We clambered up a few cliffs, through some harsh terrain and also had the now customary momentary loss of direction whilst in a farmers field !

I think today was one of, if not the most scenic days I've had. Oxwich Bay, Three Cliffs Bay and Caswell Bay being the pick!


The most gratifying sight was when we came over Mumbles Head, in the far distance I could see home !!! I've been waiting for today - because it's real now - I am inches from my own bed ;)

We were welcomed into the finish by members of the Mumbles Rotary Club, members of local MNDA branch (Jill, Sheila & Lesley) and Jo & Mike (from Sat!).


Well mate - that's nearly it ! One more long day tomorrow and then the finish. Not quite sinking in yet, obviously my legs/feet are feeling it but once I've got tomorrow out of the way, then I know the 'walking' will be over and I can enjoy the small run in Sunday (obviously not literally 'run' !!)

We've done fantastic mate. We've smashed the initial £5k target, we're gonna smash the £10k target too ! 
(Keep donating and sharing peeps !! - all money raised is going to greatly assist local people here in South Wales !)

Awareness-wise, we've opened a few people's eyes and changed quite a few mindsets.

Thankfully for you, there's not too more many of these to read either ;) 

Tonight, I'm at one of the worlds best hotels !! - my mothers ! Didn't want to go home until the challenge is completed but did get to see K and the children again :) 

Catch you soon now mate! 

2 comments:

  1. Keep going mate. We are following your journey every day from the US.

    Trying to figure out what I am going to do on the train next week without your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me join you on this section of the walk Justin.

    A tough day, but for a very worthy cause having seen at close proximity the cruel effects of this most horrible of diseases.

    I must admit to serious fatigue around 9pm that evening - and thats after just ONE day of your incredible 35 day journey !

    All the best mate and hope the finish was as sweet as could be today, If I could have been there in person I would but was with you all the way in spirit !

    Very Best,

    Nathan

    ReplyDelete