Sunday 11 August 2013

Day 31 - Closer to home.........

Only one more week of listening to my drivel mate !
This time next week I'll be in my own bed, in my own house - back to reality ! 
(It's a strange feeling really)

Firstly, a massive thankyou to my cousins Derryn & Peter for hosting me for the last 2 nights - great to meet family I hadn't met before too!!

Today I was told it was a nice flat ramble from Saundersfoot to St Clears - who the hell told me that !!!!! By golly (as polite as I can get !) - this mornings hike was one of the more testing ones I've had for the last week or so (maybe my legs are now actually running on empty?).

I was firstly joined today by a fellow Kilimanjaro conqueror - Ian. Ian was my 'room mate' in Africa as we scaled Uhuru Peak and now a great friend who has supported our fight against MND generously.

(Dont fret, this wasn't 9am this morning !)

It was great to reminisce about the Kili trek etc but I'm sure Ian was only put on this planet to make me walk up ridiculous inclines !!! Everytime I walk with this fella,
I'm walking upwards - it was a backbreaking couple of hours. Actually I'm sure I heard your knees creak for a good 14 miles Ian ?! ;) - WD40 required!


After sweating out what felt like at least 85 gallons, we eventually got to Laugharne (may not be spelt correctly!) Famous for Dylan Thomas' boathouse etc 

(Yep, it's just a house !)

It was here we teamed up with Rhian & her sister Ruth. Yep - Rhian, my 'logistics manager' for Pembroke ;) finally succumbed and joined me on the walk. 

(The excitement of seeing Thomas' boast house is etched all over my face !!)

The girls, armed with a random cowbell, fought their way through farmland, snakes (!!), and treacherous main roads without the slightest of moans - oh hang on - there was some moaning but we couldn't hear it, Rhian was too far back ;)

The road into St Clears seemed to go on forever, so we tried to entertain ourselves any which way we could !

(Spot the buffoon!)

Having finally brought Day 31 to a close we bowled into St Clears unscathed!
In fact it was a good job Ian was with us, because 'someone' had left their car keys back at the start point !! (Doh)


The Owens hospitality, as usual was second to none and Rhian's hubby Gareth rustled up an ace Mexican ! 

I'm bushwhacked, literally am on the last leg home. I don't think I could do much more than 6 days anyhow - simply running on adrenalin now.


Thanks go out to my comrades for today, Ian & Jan, Ruth for travelling up to join us and again Rhian & Gareth for taking me in, feeding and hosting me so well. 

Tomorrow I get to walk with the most important woman in your life, your super wife Tracy and then I get to see the most important woman in my life - my wife, who has signed up to walk the next 2 days (hope there are hills !!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment