Saturday 17 August 2013

Day 37 - Final Lap

August 17th - the last 'proper' day of walking has arrived. 
I've been waiting for tonight ever since I took the first step on July 12th up in Prestatyn. Feels like a lifetime ago now though. 

It's a strange feeling at the moment mate, all the organisation, all the hype, all the glorious moans & groans - it's all moreorless done now. In little over 12 hours, our journey to raise as much awareness as we can will come to an end. Have we achieved my objective ? Oh, I think so ! 

But I still had to manoeuvre my way through the mammoth Mumbles to Margam leg!

A great group of us today !! 

 
It was dry (to start with), the general mood was a buoyant one, the final hurdle  before the finishing straight was upon us and everyone was eager to conquer !

(I even found time to fit some extra circular activity in along the early route)

We met some strange characters though along the way.......

Having rode our luck with the weather for a good 3 hours, as predicted the heavens opened up - a nice parting gift from the big man in the sky !!!

It may have soaked us through but it certainly didn't dampen our spirits !! 


After a nice stop along Aberavon beach for lunch, we met up with Christine and Kevin from SWP and we were soon back on our way to tackle the last half of the day. 


When I say lunch mate, I obviously meant a liquid one for me ! My oath of having a drink to toast you at every town/village I stopped at has remained true throughout. 

The remainder of route took us away from the beaches and into the metropolis that is Port Talbot !


(Not sure what that bloke, bottom right, is doing !!!) oooohhh and check out my new poncho ;) !

I've come across a few 'dangerous moments' along my challenge but walking past 10/12 yr old kids smoking cigarettes in a back alley of Taibach is up there with them all !! Their mothers must have been proud !!!!

So not the most glamorous of surroundings but we did eventually make it to Margam ! A lot wetter, a lot more weary and a hell of lot more satisfied than when we stated off this morning!



I'd like to thank all my fellow walkerstoday who helped turn a miserably wet afternoon into a pleasurable ramble ;)

I'd also like to thank Heidi & Stu for their wonderful hospitality, very much appreciated both and also to all the 'crew' who were at the finish to greet us back tonight. 

I think I've rounded off most of my blogs by saying I'm tired etc but after today I really do feel like its coming to an end - and that is welcomed news to my feet, knees and back !

It's gonna be strange setting off tomorrow, I have a little 3 mile stroll from
Margam to Kenfig to meet up with a few other walkers ;) and then the final 3 miles into the aptly named Rest Bay!

I know you may not be able to make it mate, but at some point tomorrow ill catch up with you !

It's been a long journey, tomorrow my little stint will end. But the fight to raise awareness and funds for MND needs to keep going on. I won't stop fighting this b@stard with you and we've recruited many new soldiers mate - this battle may be drawing to a close, but the war is still there to be won.

1 comment:

  1. Your walk and your wonderful blogs have brought more awareness to this part of the world than any of us ever thought possible. You have done a tremendous job and I have been proud to be a little part of your journey. although you might have notice I didn't actually walk!!

    ReplyDelete