Sunday 18 August 2013

Homecoming

I don't really know where to start mate. I'm lying in bed absolutely exhausted and trying to comprehend what has just happened ! 

Today has been the most overwhelming day imaginable. 

On Thursday 11th July, I started the journey to North Wales, not understanding the task that was ahead of me. Naivety and sheer stubbornness didn't allow me to truly grasp the nature of what I was about to undertake. 

What started as a vision to raise as much awareness as I possibly could for this devastating disease, has turned into an epic journey of highs and lows ;)

One clear objective ! - Get as many people as I could to sit up and take notice. To get people to realise the impact that MND has on both sufferers and their loved ones.

I have been inundated with text messages, FB posts, tweets, emails and phone calls throughout the last 38 days - the motivation, continual support and unwavering generosity has spurred me on each day. Motivating myself each morning to get up and do another 20 mile day was never really a problem because of the reasons behind the walk, but to know we've had the support of so many people has been truly humbling.

I got to Kenfig Nature Reserve today and there were approx 130-150 people waiting to walk with me into Porthcawl. 




They even shipped in Boris for my last day :)


I then got to Rest Bay - and OMG - was seriously not expecting that. Another 150 or so people there to welcome in the walkers. Speechless and absolutely gobsmacked. 

(Welcoming party included legends JPR Williams, Phil Bennett, MP Madelene Moon, Mayor & Mayoress of Porthcawl and the Rotary Club of Porthcawl)


(Brynteg reunited for a common cause)

It'll take a while for all this to sink in. 
I apologise to those I was unable to personally thank today, I really appreciate everyone's attendance. It simply proved that the awareness had worked.

I feel immense pride at the moment, im proud because I'm lucky enough to know a lot of very good people. People who were willing to participate and collaborate, people who wanted to show you that they care and empathise with your situation. It's not just about the hundreds who turned out today, it's about the many more hundreds of people we've touched on this journey. 

Friends, old & new have been onboard from day one. Everyone I have spoken to along the way have sent you their sincere best wishes.

It's easy for me to tell people what kind of guy you are. Those who haven't met you, admire you and your bravery. Those who do know you, know the fighter you are and admire your continued tenacity.

I've had a lot of people congratulate me today. I simply walked. I'll take the satisfaction of having raised over £11000 and ill certainly be happy with the amount of awareness we have raised, but I find it hard to take the congratulations personally. 

This wasn't a solo effort, without everyone donating money and without everyone sharing posts, forwarding on mails and assisting with publicity - the walk would've been a failure. My legs would be in bits for nothing ;) So the congratulations should go to you all.

I, and I know you do too Gar, would sincerely like to thank EVERYONE who has :-

- donated online, via text, personally 
- offered accommodation and hospitality
- conducted spin-off fundraising events
- organised the homecoming
- accompanied me along the route 
- sent us best wishes along the way

Oh and to those who have bothered to read this little blog............

I didn't get to throw my boots into the sea, the tide was out and it was too far to walk! But trust me, they will never see the light of day again........


It's been great updating you Gar, via this blog. No doubt you've sat there laughing at my misfortune and hideous outfits at times ! 

I may have embarrassed myself completely throughout this challenge, I may even have gone slightly insane at times, I've definitely got lost once or twice ;) BUT not for a single second would I ever regret any of it.

Over the next few days, reality will kick in, and I'll be able reflect on it all. Ill read this all back and reminisce on the experiences I had and the wonderful people I met along the way.

Message to MND - We came and we kicked your a55. We'll continue to come and we'll continue to kick your a55!!!

I told you earlier, I'd never do that again. But I would, if you asked me to start again tomorrow I would (I may need to take JPR with me to sort my legs out) but i wouldn't hesitate. I'd need new boots though !!


The last 38 days has been about one person. YOU (and your family) are the reason why so many people have been touched by this. You are the inspiration behind my craziness.

There's a saying - 'I'd walk to the end of the earth for you' - you know what, I might just do that one day ............

Thank you all for following me each day, the hope is that this can inspire you to do something (however small or large) to help free the world of MND and give great people like Gareth the hope they so desperately need. 
 
#MNDfamily


3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud to have a friend like you,
    Thankyou mate.
    Gareth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two amazing fellas. Keep on fighting it. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought you would do it again but you did, more tears you've made me shed. Thank you Justin for being such a human, human being. x

    ReplyDelete