Friday 19 July 2013

Day 11 - Day of Rest & Reflection


I've been slacking today mate, this is officially the first of my 2 'rest' days on the challenge.

Won't bore you with what I got up to today, but took in swimming and managed to get to Portmeirion - a unique little village indeed, and one I could see in the distance throughout yesterday's trek to Harlech. 


I did have to walk back from Portmeirion though! As I missed the last bus (so much for rest day.........)

Onto Barmouth tomorrow, back in stride.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank my new North Walian family! The Burkes have been extremely welcoming and have left a complete stranger (or just strange!) into their home and spoilt him rotten! Glenda, Tony, Caryl and Ffion - Dioch yn fawr ffrindiau. 
Glenda, your kindness is unsurpassed and you have done a superb job of helping raise awareness up here in Porthmadog.
Also, huge thanks to other new friends, Paula. Ted and Rhian for their assistance - my challenge was made a hell of a lot easier thanks to you all.


Gar, I've read my entire blog back today too (loads of typos obviously!!) and I'm conscious I may have moaned a little on my travels thus far. 

And especially after reading Tracy's comments etc 
So I've given myself a little talking to:-

"Justin - You may get blisters from walking in this heat, but you don't have MND, you can walk and blisters are bl00dy temporary"

"Justin - You may be hot - but you don't have MND, so it's bearable, wrap up and find shade"

"Justin - You may be hungry at times - but you don't have MND, you don't have to feed yourself through a tube, so stop complaining"

"Justin - You miss your family etc - but you don't have MND, be thankful you can actually speak to them on the phone at least"

"And finally, Justin - You may get down with life, but you don't have MND - so pick yourself the **** up, be very grateful and stop moaning !!"

Gar, I'm walking because I can, you would give anything to join me. 
I'm walking because I know you would do exactly the same for me. 

I will not moan again :)

North Wales I will finish you off !!!

Oh - and not wanting to sound anti-royal or anything but wouldn't it be great if MND got just a fraction of the media coverage that new royal baby news is getting tonight and will get tomorrow etc !!
 

1 comment:

  1. Mate - behave yourself! You are not moaning, you are sharing the trials and tribulations you are going through on this mammoth challenge you have set yourself!

    We all moan, we have all this going on and yet if the nurses accidentally nick all the pens out of the pot in the kitchen Tracy rants like they are the Crown Jewels!!! And you know what it's like if she's annoyed........

    Life is about perspective and we know that you count your blessings more than most and are grateful for them.

    We enjoy hearing everything thats happening to you, particularly liked yesterday's getting chased by the cow/bull whatever it was. You're making me smile every day.

    So no more apologies, you are doing an amazing thing for me and everyone with MND! ;)

    Thankyou to all your new friends who are really putting themselves out and supporting you, again heartwarming to see.

    You're giving us things to smile about/talk about/be amazed at Mate!!

    Looking forward to tomorrow's instalment!

    Gareth

    ReplyDelete