Thursday 18 July 2013

Day 7 - Burnt, Bitten but Winning

Before I start on today's events - i forgot to mention yesterday - i walked the first 4 miles and realised I still had my hotel keys in my pocket. !!!!! There was absolutely no chance of me walking back! But luckily got overtaken on route (thats how slow i am going lol!) by a couple who recognised me from hotel - phew !

Right - Day 7 - Week 1 - All completed !!!

Still feeling the effects of yesterday's heat today I had another 19/20 mile walk ahead of me. I set off early again though to avoid as much of the sun as I could - failed miserably - as it was determined to play mind games with me again today!!

And also, who the hell invented horseflies and what is their purpose in life ??? I'm bitten all over the place !!

Aberdaron to Abersoch was the route, again the views were just as stunning as yesterday and I had the urge to dive into water they call 'Hells Mouth', despite its title! 

A few new little blisters have joined 'Bert' - oh that's what I've christened the big ripped-off blister ! These are manageable though and I won't be rushing to tear off the compeed on these!

I think the heat is still taking its toll on my mind too, I keep breaking into song every now and again. 
Picture this - I'm walking up a mountain (with me flags!) bellowing out some Guetta tune, thinking its just me and the open air, when all of a sudden, some 97 year old chap (was prob only 67!!) appears from nowhere, looks terrified and simply gives me the thumbs up!! God, I felt bl00dy ridiculous !! He will probably never recover from that experience either !!

Abersoch beach was a welcoming sight, another gem I didn't realise existed in our wonderful country! 

Got picked up by Carol & Tim, my walking partners from yesterday and was driven to paradise - no less than 10 mins of turning up, I found myself in a luxurious bath with an ice cold cider !! Then they prepared & cooked a sumptuous meal (inc. freshly caught mackerel!!) - I know what you're thinking mate, "I thought this was a challenge?" ;)

Seriously fantastic generous hospitality and two of most genuinely nicest people I have met -Thank you both very much indeed. 

So - bet you didn't think I'd last a whole week did you !?!? 

It's been a roller-coaster that's for sure and worryingly I still got 4 weeks to go !
It's been way tougher than I had ever imagined, physically and mentally BUT it's given me added incentive to plough on and get this done now mate.

We've reached out to a load of people already, strangers continue to stop me and ask why I'm roaming the hills singing David Guetta!! No seriously, the message is getting out there, people are taking notice.
As I'm sure at least 4 people read this blog everyday (you, my wife, my mum and me !)

Tomorrow - I have my 'shortest walk', only 9/10 miles, but I've been told there's the Llanbedrog Head to negotiate first though which will be another test for my calves(which feel like watermelons already!).

Getting a proper T-Shirt tan too which is always attractive - Not.

Hey - but we're winning............

MND is a big ugly beast BUT we are fighting back, there is a lot of genuine support coming in and together we will stand and fight it with you. 

"Strong people cry sometimes, fall sometimes and feel like giving up sometimes, but what makes them strong is that they keep on going anyway"

Hope the heat is not getting you down mate.

Speak to you tomorrow. (I don't even know what day it is tomorrow!!!).

4 comments:

  1. At least 5 mate, I've read everyone so far keep walking and keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. All reading in playgroup too! Keep going! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue and rob are very proud of you. Children and kirsten behaving well! Love Sue! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to reading it each day, it's a highlight!

    Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete