Thursday 11 July 2013

Eve of the walk

Right, definitely no turning back now !
I'm here in North Wales, and still in one piece which is a bonus !

Firstly - and obviously, I've forgotten a few things !! My CamelBak (!!!) - somewhat vital for fluid intake and also Vaseline - which if you've ever walked up Snowdon in the rain, you'll know is also a must-have.
But at least I've remembered my boots and hair product !

Feels eerie and I'm quite apprehensive about it all, it's not a huge physical challenge I know but I've had so much coverage and people are fully behind me and are supporting you etc - if I screw this up I'll be gutted !

But of course, I won't screw this up. Every step I take in the next 5 weeks will be for you, and that's ample motivation. 

Tomorrow morning I make my way to Prestatyn for the start - with Llandudno (and the wonderful Esplanade hotel !) my destination. 
I'm not alone, a good friend & work colleague and his father will be joining me for the first 21 mile slog - which hopefully means I won't need to call upon the maps :) 

Gar, you'll be overwhelmed with the support you're getting. Old school friends, former teammates etc are all sending you their wishes and are fighting this with you. 

I would like to publicly thank Nick, Jen & Charlie for the transport up to NW and also to Mr & Mrs Allport for their kind   hospitality - very much appreciated indeed.

Kirsten, Holly & Lucas - miss you already guys. Thank-you for your support - I'm on my way home now :)

Tomorrow we conquer the coastal path - tomorrow we start telling MND to **** off !!

I know you're with me mate - lets not get lost hey !! :)

2 comments:

  1. JHD - I'm so very proud of you for taking it upon yourself to raise awareness of MND - the least I can do is offer to support you by buying you a replacement Camelbak if you need one? Maybe if I buy one from Halfords online and arrange for you to collect it from the nearest store that you walk/travel past?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Owen, thankyou for your kind offer my friend, but after today carrying a camelbak and a backpack will do me more harm lol ! Ill simply purchase bottles of water and replenish en-route! Cheers mate

      Delete