Saturday 13 July 2013

Day 2 - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

This is turning into an adventure already mate!! 
Day 2 - Llandudno to Llanfairfechan (approx 17 miles).

We set off from the fantastic Esplanade at approx 9.30, slightly feeling effects of a long but thoroughly enjoyable evening - which by the way raised a whopping £1200 for MND !! (Huge round of applause to Daisy and her team!!, and Dixie of course!)

Today I was accompanied by Daisy's sister and local GP Heidi Close. Now I had been warned about this lady, was told she was a bit of an action woman and adrenaline junkie, so i expected a steady pace ;)

First obstacle - the Great Orme !! A beast of an incline - oh and also today was the hottest day North Wales had had for 2 years !! (Immaculate timing).


Some stunning scenery and an healthy gallop, saw us reach Conwy for lunchtime.


Again, the generosity of random strangers putting coins in the bucket along the way was remarkable. 

We then teamed up with Roger Sowersby, a great guy who, unfortunately has been suffering with MND for 7 years now. His mobility scooter turned into our pace car - and for the last 8/9 miles we quickened our pace.

In fact there were points along the route I thought we were gonna lose him ! His scooter had a mind if its own ! 

At that point my blister from yesterday came back to haunt me ! I knew something wasn't right!

Eventually arriving at our destination at approx 4.15pm


Then we were given a huge welcome at Llys-y-Coed - we were officially greeted by the Llanfairfechan Mayor, Carol Gell, which was followed by a celebratory barbecue which was enjoyed by both residents and members of the local community alike.


Now for the good part of today's story - my blister from yesterday ! Got showered, went to pull plasters off - managed to rip a chunk of my skin away at the same time :-
(Nice photo ;)

It's not great at the moment, I've been given copious amounts of plasters and padding to get me through tomorrow's 22 miler to Caernarfon. This is poxy typical - it's only bloody day 2 - Im burnt to a crisp and cannot put my foot flat on the floor - apart from that mate all is good !!

I'm still in good spirits though, I've spoke to alot of people today about the disease and what I'm doing and people are genuinely interested.

I'm gonna get some early shut eye tonight and get tomorrow started ASAP 
No doubt there'll be something else for me to report back with tomorrow !

Before I go I would like to thank:-
Daisy - again for everything she has done to support & accommodate me.
Heidi - for your great company today - hope I didn't bore you too much !
Cheryl & the staff at Llys-y-Coed for housing & feeding me tonight.
And Roger - you're a true gent Sir, I hope you continue to remain positive and serve in the fight against this wretched disease!

(Ps - that's the smallest house in GB!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment