Friday 26 July 2013

Day 15 - Into Powys we cross !


Hi Gar. 
I'm writing this blog early tonight before I flake out completely. Probably the hardest day so far to be honest. The mileage wasn't that extensive but the route was an absolute pee take !!

The first couple of miles to AberDovey was coastal and with blue skies out to greet me again, it was a pleasant start to the day.


The harbour master at Aber offered me a free boat ride across the river - you will not believe how tempting that was. As i politely turned him down, he pointed out my next few miles with a wicked chuckle - he knew what was coming - i certainly didn't. Then that's where it all went pear-shaped!! 

Somebody tell me where the bl00dy coast is here :-


I should have brought my mountain yak with me !!!!!  For about 2 hours I trawled over the mountains. 

The official advert for this part of the "Coastal Path" describes it as:- 
Here the path takes an inland detour along the River Dovey to the nearest crossing point at Machynlleth. The spectacular mountain scenery makes an interesting contrast to the coast!!

Here's my own description:-
"Here some cruel ******** decided to send poor souls up to the top of various mountains, unnecessarily in the blazing heat! Nearest crossing point ????? Somebody just build a little path adjacent to the main road please !!!!!
There was nothing spectacular about treading through yet more heaps of cow/sheep dung and trawling through what seemed like tropical rain forests at times ! But hey - it was an interesting contrast ;)"

If there was one sign that summed me up today it would be this :-
Broken lol!
You know me Gar, I'm not one to moan (he says coughing).

Some sadistic fella decided to whack up a trim trail at the bottom of the mountains too - just in case I fancied a pole climb or sit-up session !!!:


All that said I got to Machynlleth fairly early which was nice, had a chance to grab some refreshments etc

New fact of the day: Machynlleth was best known for being the seat of Owain Glyndwr's Welsh parliament in 1400s !

Unfortunately, obviously more recently its been in the news for the wrong reasons and the poignant sense of community spirit over the April Jones case was still evident.

I've left North Wales now mate, we've crossed into mid-Wales and I can smell home from here (although in truth, all I can smell are my 4-day old socks!!)

I'd like to say this to all my North Walian friends:-

Hoffwn i ddiolch pob un o'm ffrindiau newydd yng Ngogledd Cymru am eu croeso rhagorol a chymorth bendigedig. Bydda i'n dod nôl yn fuan yn bendant, ond ddim wrth gerdded! 


Tomorrow, I'm being joined by some familiar faces which will be great! Plus I get to offload half my baggage, which somewhat limits my moaning in future blogs ;)

And now for your ass-kicking ! 

My spies tell me you're feeling down etc (naturally). The heat isn't making you any more comfortable and your stomach is playing games again. Screw all that mate !!
Keep that fighting spirit, which remains, inside you. You are a warrior and have fought this battle for nearly 3 years now - don't let it think its winning! 
Ill jump on a train back to Bridgend tonight and personally kick your ass if I have to, but I'm sure Tracy is doing plenty of that. 
I've said it before, you're the bravest person I will ever get to meet. Keep believing, keep smiling and know you're loved.

I now have tears in my eyes!! 
DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS !

"It's not the strength of the body that counts but the strength of the spirit" - J.R.R Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment