Saturday 27 July 2013

Day 16 - Climb Every Mountain (and then climb another)

OMG - for tonight's blog, it will be very difficult not to moan ;) 
Today is officially the toughest walk I've done!! 

Machynlleth to Aberystwyth along the Wales Coastal Path. 
Mmmmmmm lets see - Wales Coastal Path - did I see the coast for most of today's 9 hour trek ? NO
Did I even see a path for most of today's 9 hour trek - NO not really !! But I was in Wales, so at least they got that bit right !!

I was joined this morning by our old friend Floyd, who and I quote, said "this walk will be a piece of **** mate". This is him, barely an hour after we reached our accommodation:-

In fact I can hear him snoring next door now, as I write this ! In fairness to Floyd he valiantly 'volunteered' (didn't read the small print !) to carry the rucksack for majority of today's hike. 

We left Mach at approx 8am and set off on our 'piece of cake' journey ;)

Literally half hour later, I was dripping in sweat and climbing a Ben-Nevis esque incline (AGAIN). And remember I wasn't even carrying anything !!

The choice to don hair product this morning totally backfired - spent 9 hours fighting flies (and losing).

Much as yesterday really, the terrain was ridiculous and if it wasn't for a chance meeting with a local farmer we'd probably still be out there now - wherever 'there' is.


Despite the unexpected inclines again and lack of sea breeze it was good to have the company and someone to share banter with again. You know how crazy this lad was mate !!

(That's how far away from coast we were!)

5 hours later we arrived in Borth, where we met Rich, Lisa and Amy-Grace.
The Evans family have truly been great friends of yours and today they had come up to support and walk the last half of the day and also, gratefully, take the baggage!!

I think the disappointment of not having started at 8am with us was etched all over Richs' face ;) When he saw us he must have been mightily relieved !!

I was told when we got to Borth, that we would in fact be walking along the coast (novelty!). We were, just had to walk up the equivalent of 125 flights of stairs to get round it!!!!!!!

We got to see some strange creatures up the hilltops of Aber too:-


Needless to say, the sight of Aber as we came over Constitutional Hill was extremely welcomed !


We'd made it ! 9 hours, 22 miles, countless mountains, never ending wading through bracken, plenty of wasp duels, a cheeky pint (obv) and Day 16 was smashed!


(Seriously, Justin - smile mun !!!!)

Tomorrow, Floyd rejoins me to walk to Aberaeron - IN THE RAIN !!!!
Yep after 2 glorious weeks of sunshine (thankyou North Wales!), somebody has decided to throw some rain at me - because apparently I'm finding this too easy.............

Take care mate, I'm sure tomorrow will be an interesting day !

PS - I ain't sleeping tonight, his snoring is horrendous ! 
(Bet you'd never thought you'd hear of Floyd turning down a night out in exchange for an early night !!)

I would also like to thank Winford Davies for putting us up and feeding us tonight - v much appreciated Sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment