Monday 15 July 2013

Day 4 - Psychological Sat-Nav engaged!

Today was easily the hardest day - I know it's only Day 4 but it was hell of a slog !
I set off early to try and avoid the heat, but even the sun couldn't be bothered coming out this morning!!

Foot all bandaged up again, I set off from Caernarfon castle and headed to Clynnog Fawr (which was where my nights accommodation had been arranged) - officially I should be in Trefor - but ill do that tomorrow on the way round.

Foolishly assumed there would be opportunity to re-stock on liquids somewhere nearby - 2 hours later I found a cafe !! Doh. 
All along the route, somehow I felt taunted by the various pieces of litter I stumbled across - cans of redbull, cans of cider!, macdonalds wrappers! And this bad boy :-

I had skipped breakfast, which yep, was another massive doh moment !

I think through lack of food this morning I may have gone a little crazy, as I found myself talking to a crab!! (a dead crab) for a good 5 mins while I took in one of many pitstops to offload my backpack.

I hadn't really got lost in the first 3 days which was quite surprising - so Sod's law - today I did! 

Think I took a wrong turning listening to Pearl Jam!! Ended up in some fields in middle of nowhere - I could vaguely make out the coastal line so I headed across numerous farm land in search of civilisation - only to find a massive dollop of cow-pat and some sheep who must have been laughing (do sheep laugh??) their little woolly heads off at me !!

Eventually got to Dinas Dinile, where I stumbled across the promised-land - aka  Bwyty Lleu cafe - devoured 2 cans of redbull and this beast of a bap:

Was exactly what I needed !! Highly recommend this little eatery!!

The rest of the route ran parallel to main road where passing traffic sympathetically tooted their horns at me - found it quite uplifting actually, but in truth they were probably thinking 'what is that plonker doing!!'

Somehow and later than expect i arrived  in Clynnog Fawr:-


And thought "wow good job I'm not walking up one of those mountains!!"

Half hour later, what was I doing? Yep you guessed it - WALKING UP one of those ****** mountains !!!!!!!!!

The 4 mile off-route journey to my B&B was a steady incline which absolutely wrecked me ! Bearing in mind I had already been walking for 6 hours already!


I called upon some serious soul-searching to eventually get to Yr Hen Ysgol.

This is a stunning B&B and owners Terry & Sue were most welcoming. A well-deserved bath and early night was just what I needed after a mentally tough day today. 

Had a lot of 'me time' today and thought hell of a lot what you must be going through mate! 

I jest when I moan about my little blisters, the heat, missing home etc - absolutely minuscule compared to what you go through every single day. 

You don't moan - you get on with it - you fight every day, if I had just a drop of the fighting spirit you have, I'd be a much better man. You are an inspiration.

People need to realise what it's like for you and other MND sufferers & their families - 

Small minded, ungrateful and totally ignorant - that's the rest of us!

Catch you tomorrow Buddy !

No comments:

Post a Comment