Sunday 28 July 2013

Day 17 - Halfway Home !!

Hi mate - yep I'm halfway home !! 17 days done. 18 to go ;)

After a surprisingly great nights sleep, (I even slept through the horrendous snoring from Mr Floyd!), we set out on what we had hoped was a little easier than yesterday - it wasn't !!!

What has now become customary - a nice little hill to climb first off:


A few spots of rain and I was thinking the worst (and this was only 10mins into the start!). Luckily the rain held off for a while but it doesn't make the incline any easier.
You need a giggle - just picture us getting up that, literally on hand & knees !

What was different today was the fact we were walking along the coast !!! Sea breeze a welcome visitor.

The Ceredigion path was fairly well signposted but we did stumble across he odd issue !
(that's a sign post ! On the floor!)

The scenery was a rare treat after the 2 days previous walks!


As you can see the rain stayed away for most of the day in the end, which was a blessing, although the ground was still somewhat slippery as both me and Floyd found to our detriment - both sent flying on our backsides! In Floyd's case unfortunately he took a few tumbles and is now nursing a swollen ankle (sorry mate - I did say i'd carry my bag :)

But we weren't as bad as his little fella:
(Sun, obviously too much for some !)

After about 11 miles we 'stumbled' across a caravan park - and hence a caravan park bar ! This turned our to be a lucrative move as our collection tin caught the eye of the tourists !!

We relaxed for a while, knowing the journey was half done. 


A few new blisters for me to Compeed up and fresh socks and away we went again! 
This is where we met Clive !!


Yep, he was as eccentric as he looks !!!
In truth though this local guy was a genius! 
He walked with us for a while before volunteering to run (literally run) ahead with our collection tin and round up support ! And by golly he did!

He must've reached Aberareon about 45 mins before us and between the time he left us and when we got there - complete strangers were coming up to us, wishing us well and saying they had kindly dropped money into the tin ! 


Clive - thank you mate. 

It was here we also met up with Nigel, tonight's host. Small world as Nige used to live in Bridgend! A Bryntirion lad! 
Him, his wife and his wonderful daughter Gabby welcomed me into their home and fed me extremely well!
(By this point Floyd has returned home to Hereford to nurse his aches & pains!)

So another really tough days walking, but all made completely worth it to see members of the public willingly donate.

(I did smile a little in this one !!)

Still gutted I wasn't videoing the walk when he tumbled !!!!! Would've made awesome You've Been Framed footage.

In all seriousness Floyd, don't think I would've got through the last 2 days without losing my mind, if you hadn't been there - great company, we've had a good laugh in some very testing conditions. Cheers mate, hope ankle heals quickly!

Halfway now Gar, I'm feeling good that we've come this far - it's all downhill (I wish!!) from here mate. I hope you've had a better few days.

PS - can you tell Kirsten to stop worrying about me - the pubs of Ceredigion are not going to run dry of cider anytime soon ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment